Wednesday, October 18 –
Parent / Teacher Conferences –
TODAY: 2:45 – 7:00 in the North Gym
Thursday: 7:30am – noon (by appointment)
No School Thursday or Friday
– The Mustang Pride Prize Winners for the Week of October 23rd through 27th are:
Cierra Radabaugh, Isaac Johnson, Adam Ward, Luke Bies, and Jahiem Turner
– Winter Sports Athletes: Practice permits for girls basketball, bowling & swimming will be issued beginning Monday October 30th. Practice permits for boys basketball & wrestling will be issued beginning Monday November 6th. ALL ATHLETES MUST HAVE COMPLETED THE IMPACT EXAM. Check with your coach to see when test will be done and/or check with activities office to see if you need to take it.
– Interested in finding out about the Battle of the Books? Come to an informational meeting in the library TODAY at any of the following times: 7:15 am, 5th hour Study Time (A or D) or 2:25 pm. The meeting will last approximately 10 minutes. Hope to see you there!!
– Blood Drive informational meetings will take place TODAY before school @ 7:15, A/D study, and after school in the Student Government room. Packets are due October 31st. The Blood Drive will take place on November 29th. Remember your donation could save three lives!
– Attention Octagon Club Members: The 2017-2018 roster has been updated. If we haven’t seen you or heard from you, we assumed you were no longer a member. Go see Houselog to see if you are on list. If you aren’t and want to be, start coming to meetings and sign up for Remind. Our next meeting is Oct 24 in C122 after school.
– Students enrolled in the Spain Trip 2018 please plan to attend our fall meeting Wed. Nov. 1 at 6pm in the Hempstead Library. Parents and Student travelers able to come should be there for 1st hand information. Pasta fundraiser is also due that day. You can turn it in to your Spanish teacher or bring it to the meeting. Thank you.
– ROOT BEER FLOAT SALE!!!!!!– The “Operation Backpack” Root Beer Float sales will be on Friday October 27th (Friday) all lunches. We will be selling floats for $1 with profits going to buy quality backpacks for our Hempstead Students in need. Enjoy a delicious float & help your Mustang Family!
– Sophomores! You have an exciting opportunity to attend Northeast Iowa Community College’s Career Pathways Day on Wednesday, October 25. Transportation is provided to NICC where you will learn more about NICC programs and career pathways. Get your permission slip in the counseling office. This event is limited to the first 40 students that turn their permission slips in. Deadline to register is TODAY.
– Career Exploring Opportunities For YOU! Explore the following careers starting now and into November: Business, Conservation & Wildlife Management, Law & Government (Attorney), Sports Marketing, Civil Engineering, or Culinary Arts. For more information or to register go to: wwwexploringdubuque.org or talk to your School Counselor today!
– Students, would you like to see your teacher duct taped to the wall? iJAG is hosting a fundraiser to raise funds for community service projects they are doing. We will be set up in the cafeteria, at conferences, and in some of the teachers classrooms for your donations on October 16,17 & 18. The staff member who has the most money will be duct taped to the wall during the next assembly. Staff involved: Ms. Swift, Ms. Houselog, Ms. Coenen, Mr. Lammer, Ms. Christianson, Sherri Saunders, and Omar Isaac.
– IOWA TESTING FOR Grades 9-11
Iowa Testing will be November 7th and 8th for all 9th, 10th and 11th grade students. Testing will be from 7:35-10:58. A link to the special schedule for those two days is on the Hempstead website under Reminders. By November 3rd, testing room assignments will be posted outside the Counseling office, in the cafeteria, and in the C100 hallway. Calculators are optional and will not be provided for students. Cell phones or any other electronic devices may not be used at any time during the testing session and may not be used as calculators. After testing on Tuesday, we will hold classes for periods 5,1,2 and 3. On Wednesday after testing we will have periods 5,4,6 and 7.
–INFORMATION FOR Grade 12
Since 9th 10th and 11th graders will be taking standardized Iowa tests, seniors will follow a special schedule on November 7 and 8. On Tuesday, November 7, all Seniors should report to Moody Gym at 9:30 to validate diploma information, provide a signature for the yearbook, get graduation information, and participate in the senior class panoramic photo. After the photo, we will hold classes starting with Period 5 at the regular time followed by periods 1,2,3.
CPR training is required by Iowa law for all Iowa graduates. We offer training through our wellness classes. If you do not have wellness in your schedule this year, you will be required to attend the CPR training on November 8 in Room A170 at 9:00. For all students, Period 5 will begin at the regular time on Wednesday, followed by periods 4, 6 and 7. A link to the testing and class schedule is on the Hempstead website under Reminders.
– The deadline for senior portraits to be published in the yearbook is November 25, 2017. To submit your portrait, send a JPEG picture file to Ms. Blosch at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email Ms. Blosch or see her in room C103 if you have any questions.
– Upcoming College Visits in the Counseling Office:
TODAY – Simpson 9:30am
Monday, Oct 23 – Mt. Mercy at 7:35am and Drake Univ at 10:00am
Wednesday, Oct 25 – Univ of Dubuque at 10:30am
Friday, Oct 27 – Emmaus Bible College at 8:45am
Mustang Events for week of October 16-October 21, 2017
OCTOBER IS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH
SILENCE THE VIOLENCE
WEDNESDAY –October 18
Conferences 2:45pm-7:00pm in North Gym
Flu Shot – Event Entrance atrium
THURSDAY –October 19
Cross Country @ Regional/District @ Crow Creek Park in Bettendorf (State Qualifier)
Conferences 7:30am-12:00pm by appointment only
FRIDAY –October 20
Football @ Western Dubuque 5pm
SATURDAY – October 21
All State Music Auditions @ West Delaware HS in Manchester for instruments
All State Music Auditions @ Independence HS in Independence for vocalists
COME SUPPORT YOUR MUSTANGS!
IT’S A GREAT DAY TO BE A MUSTANG!