TUESDAY, APRIL 24 –
– AP students who missed their Pre-administration meeting will be making it up during 2nd hour today in the auditorium. Thank you!
– Sophomores: Jostens will be back at Hempstead Thursday during lunch in the cafeteria to take orders for class rings or other graduation jewelry and to help with properly sizing.
– Wednesday at 7am, PJ Connolly will be signing his national letter of intent to bowl for Wartburg College.
– Congratulations to all Hempstead musicians and vocalists who performed at the State Solo & Ensemble! Please see the very impressive lists posted by the main office.
– Please join us Friday, April 27th at 2:30pm in room A170, the following musical Mustangs will sign their scholarship letters to continue their study and performance of music of the collegiate level:
Koehler Miller – Drake University (Vocal Music Education)
Justice Heinold – Clarke University (Vocal Music Education
Kellie Connolly – Loras College (Instrumental Music Education)
Becca Tigges – St. Ambrose Univeristy (Psychology)
Andrew Sear – Concordia Univeristy/Wisconsin (Rehabilitative Sciences/Pre-Physical Therapy)
Congratulations to all!
– 2018 Drake Relay Qualifiers:
4x100M Relay – Trenten Avenarius, Jacob Boyes, Reed Snitker, Dylan Kutsch – Alternates: Mike Behnke & Clayton Spahn
100 Meter Dash – Dylan Kutsch
1600M Run – David Holesinger
3200M Run – Ben Hermiston & David Holesinger
4x100M Relay – Hailey Klein, Audra Steil, Emalee Ryder, Janyla Hoskins – Alternates: Megan Hammerand & Laney Herman
4x800M Relay – Emma Holesinger, Hannah Brown, Kaylee Leicht, Casey Nichols – Alternates: Heather Hostager & Audrey Franklin
CONGRATULATIONS AND GOOD LUCK AT DRAKE!
– Summer Drivers Ed class registration forms and information will be available in the business office today and registration will be first come first served on Wednesday, May 2nd starting at 7am.
– MUSTANG SERVICE AWARD HOURS DUE! If you would like to submit your volunteer hours for the Mustang Service Award, forms are due by April 26th to the Main Office (Ms. Slade’s mailbox). 75 hours+ will receive a medal and 150+ will receive a plaque. Dates of service for this year are: May 2017-April 2018. For more information see the Hempstead Website, under ‘Activities’ and Clubs/Organizations
– Are you interested in running for Senate? Please make a plan to attend a mandatory meeting for interested candidates. Please choose one of the following dates: Mon. 4/23, Tues, 4/24, or Wed. 4/25. Then pick a time: 7am, 5A, 5D or after school @ 2:30. All meetings are held in the Student Government Office. You must attend just one of these days/times to be considered for that ballot.
– There will be a SOFTBALL parent/player meeting TODAY in the cafeteria. Impact testing will be done at 6:30pm in the library lab then meeting will follow.
– April is Business After School Month – On Tuesdays and Thursdays in April, students in grades 8-12 and their families will have a chance to learn more about Dubuque’s high-demand job sectors. It’s an opportunity for students to see a business first-hand in a student-friendly, interactive environment – and hear from industry leaders about the skills and education needed to be successful in that field. All at NO COST to attendees! Register with the Dubuque Chamber office.
TODAY, 3:30-5:30 p.m.: Unified Therapy Services
April 26, 3:30-5:30 p.m.: Mercy Medical Center
– May is Mental Health Month. Your school counselors invite all Hempstead students to join us in the auditorium on consecutive Mondays during A or D Study for activities and information focused on the 4 pillars of a healthy lifestyle.
April 30: Stress Management
May 7: Sleep
May 14: Exercise
May 21: Diet and Nutrition
We hope to see you there!
– Attention Seniors and Juniors – Prom is Saturday. A Starry Night at Gatsby, will be April 28th at the Grand River Center from 8-11. Guest request forms for non-Hempstead guests are available in the AP Office and need to be returned by TOMORROW, April 25th. Tickets are $15 each and are available in the Business Office through NOON Friday.
– We have many, many FREE prom dresses in stock. Please see your counselor or Ms Beisker if you still need a dress for Prom.
– Ever wonder what your teachers looked like when they were in high school?? Take part in the library’s “Proms of the Past” contest. Prom pictures of Hempstead staff members are displayed in the window outside the library. Match the name to the correct picture and you could win a fabulous prize!! Turn in your answer sheet to the library by Friday, April 27. Winners will be notified on Monday, April 30. Good luck!!
– Attention Seniors: Any senior interested in being a graduation speaker for the class of 2018 should pick up information outside the student government office or from Ms Weires. Written speeches will be due at 1:00PM on Thursday, May 10.
– Yap Make a difference in Dubuque for our youth! Consider applying for YAPPERS- what is YAPPERS? Yappers is a group of local high school students (Senior, Wahlert, Hempstead) that meet once a month to learn about grant making, philanthropy, service, and leadership. We have different fundraisers, community events and experiential learning opportunities throughout the year that allow for networking and community engagement. The students recorded their most successful year of fundraising to date this past year raising $10,535. These dollars will be granted out to benefit local youth in the Dubuque area. See Ms. Nemmers or email her for more info and an application link! YOU have the power to make a difference!
– Mrs. Foust’s World History classes are hosting a Diversity Fun Run on Saturday, May 19th at 10:30am at Hempstead. Our goal is to raise awareness about racism in our community and donate the money to the Multicultural Center of Dubuque. It will be $10 to run and $7 for the T-shirt. We will be throwing color to show that any color on our skin is beautiful. For more information contact Mrs. Foust in D111. We hope to get a good turnout from our students at Hempstead to show our community that its time for a change. Let’s end racism!
– The Hempstead Library annual spring book swap will begin April 30 and run through May 4. During that week, bring in any books that you no longer want (any reading level!) and swap them for new to you books! Save some money and load up for your summer reading!! Stop by the library if you have any questions.
– Baseball practice permits are now available. Practice begins on Monday April 30th. Please check with the activities office to make sure your paperwork and impact testing are up to date.
Mustang Events for week of April 23-April 29, 2018
TUESDAY –April 24
Golf @ Bobcate Invitational @ Timberline GC 10am
Girls Soccer vs. Cedar Falls @ Cedar Valley Soccer Complex 5pm
Boys Soccer vs. Cedar Falls on Timmerman Field 4:00pm
Boys Tennis @ Senior 4pm
Girls Tennis vs. Senior 4pm on Roos Courts
Softball parent/player meeting. Impact testing @ 6:30pm then meeting to follow in cafeteria
Women Sing @ UNI
WEDNESDAY –April 25
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT DAY
JV Boys Tennis vs. Senior 4pm on Roos Courts
JV Girls Tennis @ Senior 4pm
JV Golf @ Timberline GC 2:30pm
Drake Relays – Des Moines
Cheerleading Tryouts – 4-6pm in North gym
THURSDAY –April 26
Golf @ Pheasant Ridge GC 3:15pm
Girls Soccer @ IC Liberty @ Coralville Youth Soccer Complex 4pm
Boys Soccer vs. Linn-Mar 4:15pm on Timmerman Field
Boys Tennis pictures 2:50pm
Boys Tennis vs. Cedar Rapids Kennedy 4pm on Roos Courts
Girls Tennis @ Cedar Rapids Kennedy 4pm
Jazz Desserts 6pm in Choir Room
Drake Relays – Des Moines
FRIDAY –April 27
Drake Relays – Des Moines
SATURDAY – April 28
Prom 8pm-11pm @ Grand River Center A Starry Night at Gatsby
Boys Tennis @ Waterloo West 12n
Girls Tennis vs. Waterloo East 8am & Waterloo West 12n on Roos Courts