The new Dubuque Community School District Aquatic Center is already making a splash across the district and community! Check out the recap of the grand opening and dedication for this amazing facility:
Due to inclement weather, all events and activities in the Dubuque Community School District are postponed for Friday, Jan. 17, and Saturday, Jan. 18.
This includes the following:
Friday, Jan. 17
- Hempstead and Dubuque Senior JV Wrestling at Western Dubuque
- Dubuque Senior Boys and Girls Bowling vs Prairie High School
- Dubuque Senior vs. Hempstead Boys Sophomore and Boys Varsity Basketball (This has been rescheduled for Monday, Jan. 20 with the sophomore game beginning at 5 p.m. and the varsity game beginning at 6:30 p.m.)
- Dubuque Senior vs. Hempstead Girls JV and Girls Varsity (This has been rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 1, with the JV game beginning at 5 p.m. and the varsity game at 6:30 p.m.)
Saturday, Jan. 18
- Hempstead Freshman Boys Basketball vs Iowa City at Hempstead
- Dubuque Senior Freshman Boys Basketball vs. Cedar Rapids Jefferson at Senior
- Hempstead and Senior Boys and Girls Bowling vs Clinton (Schools will not be traveling due to the winter storm warning.)
- Boys City Swim Meet
- Aquatic Center Grand Opening (This event has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 21, at 5 p.m. before the planned 6:30 p.m. swim meet).
- Hempstead and Dubuque Senior Wrestling (Schools will not be travelling on due to the winter storm warning.)
The Dubuque Community School District will make a splash when it officially unveils its new Aquatic Center with a grand opening and open house of the new facility. This event has been postponed for January 18 due to inclement weather and rescheduled for 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 21.
The Aquatic Center, located on the Hempstead High School campus, will serve as the district’s main competition swimming and diving venue. The $9.57 million facility replaces the district’s outdated pool, which was decommissioned last year after it became unusable.
The Dubuque Area Swimmin’ Hurricanes (DASH) also contributed $1 million to the project, which expanded the number of lanes available in the facility. The Aquatic Center will serve as the main DASH practice facility and home competition venue.
A short program will be held at 5 p.m. on January 21, with community members being able to view the facility during an open house after the program. At 6:30 p.m., the district will host a swim meet in the facility featuring teams from both Dubuque Senior High School and Hempstead High School.
The substate final between Dubuque Senior High School and Hempstead High School tomorrow, Tuesday, March 1, has been moved to Maquoketa High School at 7 p.m. The game was previously scheduled to be played at Davenport North. The winner will advance to the state tournament.
The Dubuque Community School District will host “Internet Safety for Parents and Community,” presented by a representative from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), on Thursday, Jan. 7, at 6:30 p.m. in the Washington Middle School Auditorium. The event is free and the public is invited to attend.
Check out photos below from the October 3 dedication and open house celebrating the $30 million renovation of Hempstead High School.
The $30 million project, which broke ground in May 2013, includes the addition of a 700-seat auditorium, an auxiliary gym with two courts and seating for 450, additional classroom space for music and technology education, a new kiln room in art, new administrative offices and other mechanical and safety enhancements. The project is well ahead of its anticipated January 2016 completion.